The Princeton University Program in Teacher Preparation Urban Specialization (TPP-US) is a distinct course of study and focused field experiences designed to prepare students to meet the unique challenges of urban schooling.
The Urban Specialization can be completed as part of the Program in Teacher Preparation Certificate Prorgam , resulting in a New Jersey Teaching Certificate (Strand A) or as modified program for students.
The dual focus makes the Urban Specialization ideal for students interested in a successful career in urban teaching or and for any student interested in opportunities or careers in school leadership, education reform, urban planning, or social policy.
Students enrolled in the Urban Specialization will:
- Be assigned an advisor with urban expertise who will help tailor program experiences to individual interests
- Participate in field experiences focused on a range of urban education settings
- Focus TPP course assignments on urban education topics
- Choose from a range of supplemental experiences and readings and participate in small group "critical conversations" on those experiences
- Receive a broad preparation for classroom teaching that all Teacher Preparation students experience
- Upon completion of the program, certification track students will be assigned a Teacher Prep graduate who works in an urban setting to serve as a mentor and resource for the first years of teaching
Students interested in learning more about the Urban Specialization offering should contact: