The selection committee will focus on and look for specific documented evidence of:
- The nominee’s effectiveness as an exceptionally well prepared and talented teacher of the subject matter and the extent of his/her success in inspiring and engaging students in their own learning, both in and out of the classroom;
- The nominee’s contributions to the school and the community that have greatly enhanced the emotional and intellectual life of students;
- The extent to which the nominee’s work has had a particularly profound influence on students’ learning, whatever their academic strengths or weaknesses;
- The nominee’s intellectual leadership among colleagues and the extent of his/her contributions to curriculum development that have resulted in stronger programs and improved student performance;
- Innovative and/or pioneering teaching activities or research in which the nominee is engaged; and
- Professional development and advanced degrees, membership and active involvement in professional organizations, administrative and public relations work that have benefitted the school and its students, and travel insofar as it directly impacts the teacher’s effectiveness with students.